Thursday, October 21, 2010

Turkey & Rice Chili served in Pumpkin Bowls

This recipe was inspired by Emily's "A Fall Farmers' Market Feast" that she made for Project Food Blog Challenge #3.

I loved that she served her soup in pumpkin bowls and I thought her choice of chili was very appropriate. It made my mouth water. I love Emily's blog, she posts a lot of fun recipes made with fresh wholesome foods. Her recipes have encouraged me to cook more vegetarian meals, but this girl needs some meat so this is my Turkey & Rice Chili Served in Pumpkin Bowls.

Let's start with the pumpkin's! I bought "pie pumpkins" from my local grocery store.


Jay cut them open for me, we scooped them out and popped them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Don't forget to save the seeds!

Rinse those babies off, spread them over a tin foiled and PAMed cookie sheet, cover with Salt, Pepper and Old Bay and put those babies in the oven with your pumpkins.

Now on to the meal's centerpiece: Turkey & Rice Chili

Ingredients:
1 lbs of ground Turkey (frozen)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1 tbsp of EVOO
2 cans of chicken broth
1/2 cup of chopped Celery
1/3 cup of chopped Carrots
1/2 cup of chopped Beet Stalk (optional)
1 can of Garbanzo Beans
1 can of Navy Beans
1 can of Light Red Kidney Beans
1 cup of rice (not quick rice)
Salt, Pepper, Cayenne Pepper and Chili Powder

I started by chopping up a whole onion and throwing it in a pot with EVOO and then frozen ground turkey. When I make chili I always use frozen meat because I find in cooks in smaller pieces.

Flip the frozen turkey block every few minutes and scrap off the meat with a metal spatula. Once the meat is cooked all the way through add 1/2 a can of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then you can start adding additional ingredients.

I chopped a lot of veggies on Sunday and put them aside especially for this meal.



My mixed chopped veggies includes about 1/2 cup of chopped celery, 1/3 cup of chopped carrots and 1/2 cup of chopped beet stalk. I threw all the veggies in the pot and poured on top the rest of my first can of chicken broth.

When the chicken broth came to a boil again, I added the above canned beans, a cup of rice and the second (and last) can of chicken broth.

Once it came to a boil for the third (?) time, I turned down the heat to simmer and added my spices to taste.

Then, I waited.... ok, it was only like 10 to 15 minutes, for the pumpkin to finish cooking!

Then I filled those babies to the bring with chili.



And enjoy!


I demolished my pumpkin! It was delicious!

I was pretty pleased with how this meal turned out! Before today I had only cooked with canned pumpkin. I was surprised how easy it was to cook and eat. Fresh Pumpkin maybe on the menu more often!

Have you ever baked a pumpkin? What recipe did you use it for?