Monday, October 18, 2010

Root Roasted Veggies

Wow so many things to blog about.

Let me start with my outfit. I thought I looked pretty cute, especially considering my hair was wet and quickly partially French Braided. Plus, I got dressed in about 5 minutes flat. But, I'll let you be the judge before I tell you what one of my coworkers told me... and no judging the horrible smile. I have never been great at posing.

So, as I mentioned, I thought this was pretty cute. Well one of my coworkers told me I looked like a 12 year old girl. :( I guess this outfit will not be making another appearance in the office.

The other disappointing point of the day was when I opened the box that came for me from Amazon. Pictures definitely speak louder than words below.

Nice, and I bought that "new."

Now, on to happy things. Yesterday, I spent literally hours in the kitchen enjoying "my time." I made the Pumpkin Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies and a lovely Fall Veggie Roast, inspired by Emily's Harvest Root Vegetable Pie.



I chopped up one sweet potato, one russet potato, four medium beets, one onion, one turnip and two carrots. When I took this picture, I intended to also throw in a small acorn squash. As I chopped away, I realized that I had run out of room on my cookie sheet. Plus, I never mind baking, sautéing, grilling, roasting that little acorn squash later this week.




I tossed my lovely fall veggies in some EVOO and added a little salt and pepper and baked at 375 (because that is what the cookies baked at) for about 45 minutes (about how long it took me to cook the cookies).

About 25 minutes later I put the Quinoa on the stove with the leaves of the beets. I used a 3:1 water:Quinoa ratio. I covered the pot, stirring occasionally and let simmer for about 20 minutes.



Next, I started to pan frying Mahi-Mahi in EVOO and sprinkled with salt and pepper. The Mahi-Mahi took a little longer than expected. Normally, you plan fry fish for 5 minutes on each side for every inch of thickness. I was a little disappointed with this part of the meal, but Jay was happy. Next time, I am going to try a different seasoning. Any suggestions?



Then it was time to pull the Fall Veggie Fiesta out of the oven! How beautiful!



And on my plate with the Mahi-Mahi and Quinoa with the Beet's Greens.



One of the many things I enjoy about blogging is being inspired by others.

Which blog has inspired you recently?