Wednesday, June 20, 2012

FACT: I was Sick the Week of my Wedding

A lot of people would file this under their "Worst Nightmare" and honestly I sort of saw this coming. It is not uncommon for me to get sick after a big deadline but before the BIG event. In fact, working for an association, I have attended a number of our conferences sick. So a week and a half before my wedding when a friend cancelled on me for dinner because she was sick, I got worried. I knew I was suseptable and immediatly starting taking action.


The next two days I had that uncomfortable feeling that I was getting sick. I started taking Airborn and making sure I got extra sleep. The weekend before the wedding, Jay and I went to the beach for some rest and relaxation. I felt great Saturday, basking out in the sun all day. I thought I had completely over reacted the week prior. Then Sunday, while riding the Tandem Bike I knew I had got something. My throat was really tight and sore.
 
When we returned home Sunday evening I was exhausted and blamed the extra sun I got on Saturday. Sunday evening I slept almost 11 hours! Monday, I felt well enough to go to my typical gym class but cut back on the intensity, babied myself all day and got another 9 hours of sleep.
 
By the time Tuesday rolled around I knew I had to do something. I started googling "sore throats" "colds" and "duration of..". I knew that colds and sore throats last 7 to 9 days and prayed that since my sore throat started Sunday, it would be gone in one week. I continued babying myself and added lots of Green Tea to the mix. Tuesday, I took the day off from exercise, ate soup, drank tea and sat in front of the TV as soon as I got home from work. Unfortunately, Tuesday evening I did not sleep well. Waking up for a good 2 hours in the middle of the night. For me, it is not uncommon to have a restless night after sleeping soo much (oops!).
Surprisingly, I did not feel tired Wednesday and even went to my typical gym class (again I decreased my intensity). I continued to baby myself (sorry this post is getting old). Wednesday was also when I remembered something Jay had told me over the weekend. A study found that people who are prayed for heel faster and better. Previoulsy embarrassed that I would be the "sick" bride, I started telling people I had a sore throat in hopes that I would get an extra prayer or two. Sounds cheesy to some, but I definitely think it worked. By Friday, my sore throat was a distance memory and I was off enjoying the Aquarium with my friends.
Do you get sick before BIG events? What do you do to make yourself feel better?