Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Productive Evening

I had a productive evening. I caught up on one of my favorite shows, Parenthood, while wrapping Christmas gifts.

IMG_0767

They are all ready to go to Baltimore next weekend! Since Jay and I are moving before Christmas, I made sure all my holiday shopping was done by Thanksgiving. This way I will have everything wrapped and ready to get out of our current apartment before the move. I am just waiting on a few items that I purchased on Thanksgiving and I will be good to go!

IMG_0770

After the gifts were wrapped, I made Jay and I a variation of my Vegetarian Pasta. It was delicious and really hit the spot on this chilly day.

It amazes me how quickly the weather can change from gorgeous and 60 degrees on Monday, to torrential down pour on Tuesday and chilly temperatures on Wednesday. I think last weekend was the last of the warmer weather here in DC.

image(source)

While I should have been enjoying the warm weather, I was finishing my latest book, Bloodroot by Amy Greene. I will be real honest, I was not the biggest fan of this book right off the bat. I picked up this book because of Jenna’s review. I have loved every book from her site that I have read, and this one was no different. BUT, I had trouble getting into it.

The story follows the main character Myra through the eyes of her loved ones in their own narrative. I did not find this distracting at all and found it to be the perfect format for my morning commute. Unfortunately, I also found this to be a problem in Part 1. In Part 1, neither of the character’s, Doug Cotter (childhood friend) and Byrdie’s (Myra’s grandmother) stories grabbed my attention. I thoroughly enjoyed this part, but was not thoroughly enthralled. This all changed by Part 2, and by the final Part and Epilogue, I could not put the book down.

Overall, I loved this book and recommend it to anyone who loves historical American fiction with a little mystery thrown in. It is easy to read on the go because you are never more than a few pages from a break. Plus, just like The Soldier's Wife I was hooked all the way to the last sentence. Yes, Amy Greene really did that!