Monday, April 4, 2011

Post Cherry Blossoms and a Grocery Challenge

After our race yesterday, Jay and I were feeling pretty good, yes this good…

DSCN6990

I mean we did officially PR with times of 1:31:51 and 1:31:52. Jay decided to hold back a second so I could finally have a good race photo. Now, that’s what I call love! Our new time was a whole 4 minutes faster than our previous Army Ten Miler time. Needless to say we were pretty happy. Plus, as I mentioned yesterday, it was an injury free race!

After we came home and refueled, Jay and drove to my parents house in Baltimore to pick up a glove for softball, do some laundry, watch TV on the big screen and eat dinner. My parents only joined us for dinner as they spent the weekend in New York visiting my older brother Jim. Because everyone had been all over the place all weekend we opted for our favorite healthy Chinese Restaurant, Café Zen.

DSCN6988

I made sure the spread included some meat-free options like Sweet & Sour soup and Tofu with Mixed Veggies in Brown Sauce. The tofu was actually a big success. Everyone tried it, some of us loved it more than others and only one person made a comment. Can you guess who? And of course, we had some meat-lover options as well.

After dinner we drove home and made a stop at our favorite grocery store in our old neighborhood. Recently, Jay and my grocery spending has gotten a bit out of hand. It got so out of hand that we spent $500 in groceries in March and we went on vacation for a week. To give us credit, we did go to Costco twice and stocked up on random items. Needless to say, our goal for April is to spend under $75 a week in groceries or $300 for the month.

Our first trip of the month was a HUGE success. So successful that Jay even took a picture and put it on Facebook…

Grocery bill

Yes, this is my life, yes we saved $23 in coupons and store “super deals”, yes I was mad at myself when I got home and found the turkey bacon coupon sandwiched between the two packages of bacon and yes Thursday is in fact my birthday.

Here is your first grocery shop run down:

  • Blackberries
  • Strawberries
  • Cilantro plant
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Banana
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Onion
  • Tofu
  • Whole Milk
  • Garbanzo Beans
  • Black Beans (2 cans)
  • Kidney Beans
  • Diced Tomatoes
  • Turkey Lunch Meat
  • Ham Lunch Meat
  • Turkey Bacon (2 packages)
  • 32 oz carton of Egg Whites
  • 3 coffee Creamers
  • 2 jars of Pimentos
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Sliced Swiss Cheese
  • Sliced Cheddar Cheese
  • Frozen Spinach
  • Frozen Chopped Onion (x2)
  • Frozen Stir Fry Veggies
  • Gold Fish Flatbreads
  • Garlic
  • Peanut Butter Ice Cream
  • 2 Yoplait Greek Yogurts
  • 2 Light & Fit Yogurts
  • Pasta

DSCN6994

All for $60.90. Can I just say that we did great!!! Yes I did just give myself a pat on the back. And you will have to come back tomorrow to find out just how we did it ;)

Don’t worry I won’t leave you hanging… instead of how we saved $23.43 I will share my fortune with you.

DSCN6991

Good night!!

What is the most you have saved at the grocery store? How did you do it?