Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Holidays at Mt. Vernon

The girls and I decided that this year we would celebrate the Holiday’s together at Mt. Vernon. You may remember Jay and my visit to Mt. Vernon last year. From pictures, it looks like it was very similar weather ;).

IMG_0778

Going to Mt. Vernon around the Holiday’s is a completely different experience than it was last March. First of all, there are beautiful Christmas decorations everywhere! I was very tempted to purchase a mini teacup ornament.

IMG_0773

The house was also well decorated and included some extra like a cake that Martha would make for the Holidays. Speaking of Martha, is it just me, or does she look a little different in the picture below?

IMG_0772IMG_0771 (640x480)

Ha, sorry I had to, Lauren insisted on having her photo taken with Washington. :) Plus having your picture taken with Washington is a must on your first visit. Needless to say, we had a fun day and learned a lot too.

IMG_0776

Mt. Vernon is one of those attractions that I could visit every year and learn something new. This time I saw an exhibit that Jay and I completely missed last year. Oops! At least now I can say I saw Washington’s famous Dentures.

Plus, we got to see the third floor of the Mansion where Martha Washington lived after George’s death. It was cool to see this excluded portion of the house where she enjoyed her last 2 1/2 years of life.

IMG_0783

Another fun fact (and fun addition for the holiday’s) is the Christmas Camel. Apparently Washington first showed off a camel on his Mt. Vernon estate for the Christmas holidays in 1787. As an active farmer, Washington was curious about exotic animals and paid 18 shillings to a man to bring the camel to his estate. Crazy right?!?!

IMG_0782

This camel was very nice (and apparently from a petting zoo) so visitors could walk right up to him and give him a little love. Now, isn’t that what the Holiday’s are truly about?

Where do you go to see holiday decorations?