Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Venue 3: Rolling Road GC

On the last Wedding Wednesday, I told you about our first venue visit of the day, to the Historic Savage Mill. Today I am going to tell you about our visit to Rolling Road Golf Club.

image

(Source)

All of our locations that day were about half way between my parents house in Towson and our apartment in Arlington. This gave all of these locations a little extra something in the “pro” column. Rolling Road Golf Club is also very close to my grandparents retirement community, which is an added bonus considering that they will be 89 and 91 around our wedding.

The clubhouse matches our Southern theme with its Georgian architecture. We loved the popular staircase up to the reception area. The reception area is the second floor of the clubhouse giving your guests and the club members privacy from one another. No doubt, it is very beautiful location, plus you do not have to be a member to host your wedding there.

image

(Source)

All was well until we walked into the reception area. I have always imagined my wedding held in a white room. I don’t know why, but it is the image that has always come to mind. The white seems very clean and Spring/Summer to me. Unfortunately, the reception area is a beautiful wood paneled room. Beautiful, just not what I imagined for my wedding.

image

(Source)

Our only other issue with this location was that there was no real ceremony location for the number of guests we foresee attending. Smaller weddings can use the gorgeous wrap-around porch and the golf course is an option. I am just not thrilled with having my ceremony in the same room as the reception. And, since the Rolling Road Golf Club is a good 30 minutes from where I grew up, getting married in my childhood church did not make sense. We really do not want our guests driving all around Baltimore on our wedding day.

Rolling Road Golf Club is a beautiful location and we have friends who loved the weddings they have attended there. But for us, we could tell that this location just was not it.

When you were venue shopping did some locations just fall off the list?

What vision did you have for your reception when you were venue shopping?