Friday, November 19, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Last night I went to go see the midnight showing of Harry Potter in Georgetown. Of course, the midnight show is somewhat precious to a die hard Harry Potter Fan like myself and is not a true midnight showing without costumes and Butterbeer.

Last night's Butterbeer came from a Yahoo article on the Top Ten Butterbeer Recipes. As an avid Harry Potter Fan I have tried the traditional soda recipe, so tonight I tried Recipe #3 which is milk based. If I had decided to do this prior to yesterday, I probably would have tried one of the more "complex" recipes.

As you can see from the above picture, I was planning on making the homemade Butterscotch flavor. But, I don't have Vanilla in my cabinets! Blasphemy, I know. My former roommate was more of the baker and therefore had the Vanilla. Plus when I bake I usually substitute Dark Rum for Vanilla. I figured Dark Rum probably would not go with this recipe, so I opted for the Butterscotch chips instead.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups of Milk
  • 1/2 cup of Butterscotch chips
Step One: Heat the milk.

Step Two: Add Butterscotch chips and Stir until chips disolve.

Step Four: Almost bring to a boil.

Step Five: Serve.
This recipe was only alright, in my opinion is just tasted like Butterscotch flavored milk. So, Jay and I added some Coco to give it a little pizazz.

A little better. I will definitely be trying to perfect the Butterbeer Recipe prior to the final Movie this Summer!

Now, on to my classic Harry Potter Costume, my Hermione costume!

It all starts with a lot of French Braids all day! I take damp hair and make three braids all leading up to the center of the back of my head and then loop the three braids into a bun.

Then, the costume! This costume has been evolving from High School! I am sorry to say this morning I could only find recent pictures, but I'll try to pull out more pictures from the Finale this Summer.

My Fall 2007 Cotsume for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween:

And with Jay (he was Ron), look how young we look?!?!?!?

In my current costume I sport the same skirt and tie (which is actually my serving tie from working in the USC restaurant) from 2007, my original knee highs!!! and a watch necklace my mom wore in the 70s (Have I told you how much I love old costume jewelry?)

Plus, my Doc Martin's from High School!! I forgot how comfortable they are! I did not wear these ion 2007 because I found them to be too much for the Magic Kingdom.

And, here is the whole outfit together! Do I look like Hermione?

Of course, jay and I were not the only ones to dress up of our group! Pictures below are (from left to right) are Hermione, Luna, Hagrid, Lupin and Bellatrix.

So, now you all know how crazy I am :)

As for the movie, it was well worth the midnight showing. As one who has read the books, I think they did a great job of cutting out extraneous details. Walking into the movie I assumed the ending would be earlier than it was, but I appreciated and liked the ending they choose. Seeing this movie just makes me even more anxious for the next movie!!!

Are you going to see Harry Potter this weekend? Are you a die hard fan (aka read all the books and maybe even guilty of a few midnight book parties) or do you just go and see the movies? If you see the movie, e-mail me (goingongoals @ gmail dot com) and let me know what you think!