Saturday, October 2, 2010

Love or the Pursuit of Balance

This would have been my favorite section of this book. And, maybe it will still be once I write this post.

Spoiler ALERT: if you have not read this book or seen the movie do not read past the beautiful picture of my lovely breakfast.

When I finished Eat, Pray, Love I had my favorite breakfast, OATS!! Today I had cinnamon bun Kirkland brand oatmeal with whole flax seed, vanilla coffee creamer and brown sugar.

I know the close-up doesn't look that delicious, but it was! What did you have for breakfast this morning?

Now, on to Love or the Pursuit of Balance.

I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of this chapter. I like how she just shows up in Bali in hopes of finding her medicine man, finds him and then fulfills his request to come back teach him English and in return he teaches her the art of meditation.

I like that she does just that. She visits the medicine man everyday and tries to improve his English. In exchange, he teaches her the secret to meditation, smiling. And, she takes his advice! I think everyone should sit down for just 5 minutes in silence and smile. How much happier do you think we would all be?

I even like when she meets her friend Wayan and her visits with Wayan daily. Who wouldn't want to meet with a medicine woman in the morning and an ancient medicine in the afternoon?

Granted, I am not sure how I feel about her friends raising money to buy Wayan a house. I am ALL about helping others. But, I am also a firm believer that you should work for what you get.

After her mind game with Liz, Wayan's character rubbed me the wrong way. She may have been
acting like anyone else would in her culture, but that is no excuse to treat a friend the way she did.

The part of the chapter or I guess character that I just can't decide how I feel about, is her Brazilian boyfriend turned husband. I like that she went on a journey to find herself, not another person. I know the book is autobiographical, but really?!?!?

I am happy for Liz, don't get me wrong. Everyone deserves to be loved and have a companion. And, they do sound like their lifestyles compliment each other well.

My one knitting friend said she saw it as the story coming full circle. And, I really like her thinking. Her view made me feel "OK" about how the chapter and book ended. She had found herself... and I strongly believe you can't find love unless you know yourself. Or, at least that is how it worked for me. But that is a whole other post.

Have you read Eat, Pray, Love? What did you think?

And if you read the book, should I see the movie?