Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Because of Winn-Dixie

 (source) 


I have been on a book roll! OK, it helps that I have spent a lot of time on the train between Baltimore and DC lately. The occasional commute is LONG, but I have enjoyed the extra reading time it allows me.

This week I finished Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo. This book is a childrens book, but it is a quick and easy read. My mom and I saw the movie when it came out a few years ago (or 7 years ago) and I remember I thought the plot line was very cute. The book is no different and a lot better.

The novel is told through the eyes of Opal, a little girl who just moved with her father (a preacher) to a Florida town. She is lonely and thinks about her mother (who left when she was little) a lot. The story opens with Opal walking into a Winn-Dixie to find a stray dog wrecking havoic to the grocery store. When the manager asks whose dog it is, she says hers and adopts it. Throughout the story Opal and the dog Winn-Dixie meet various town residents and become friends.

The book is very cute and has a great lesson. If you are looking for an easy, quick read then this one is for you :)

In other news, we are 12 days away from the wedding. Jay and I got a lot done this past weekend, which i promise to post about this week. It feels great to have almost everything done. Now we get just to enjoy the ride :)