Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spring Training

I can’t believe it is already time for Spring Training. Where does the time go?

This spring I am registered for three races. One with the Jay and two without. I have always trained with a partner, so having to train by myself will be a huge change for me. Don’t worry, Jay agreed to join me on a few longer runs.

Like last year I have a crazy spring. I am in a wedding, have my own wedding events and will travel for work. In fact, I am only home (in DC) six weekends (3 of which are race weekends). All of these weekend events make training HARD. The one way I get around all the chaos is my work schedule. You better believe I planned days off right before (or after) trips for long runs. I even schedule my work flight out for the afternoon so I can get a long run in. Gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

image

Key:

  • HIT – High Intensity Training
  • BP – Body Pump

You will notice the biggest change from previous training schedules is the lack of mileage. Two months ago Chase wrote a post about what she learned marathon training during the winter. When I read the post, something clicked about running and cross-training. At this point I had incorporated BodyPump and just start High Intensity Training. I knew I wanted to cut back on my running in order to prevent injury. I also knew I wanted to try spin, but hadn’t gone yet. Once the New Year hit, I knew I had nothing to lose.

Now that I have successfully completed two spin classes, I know spin is a great way to incorporate endurance into my schedule (especially with the shorter days). I am sure once the sun gets up a little earlier and stay up later I’ll incorporate a few more runs, but right now I am very satisfied ditching a run or two a week for spin class.

Which spring races are you running?

 

How does your training schedule differ with the seasons?