Thursday, August 25, 2011

Running with the Weather

Boy, the DC area is getting hit pretty hard this week with weather. Who would have thought we would endure a Quake and a Hurricane in one week?

image

Image Courtesy of weather.com

Hurricane Irene brings a lot of mixed emotions for me. I am very excited for the forced downtime Sunday, but agitated that my running plans are askew. The marathon was supposed to be a priority this fall, but unsurprisingly life keeps getting in the way.

Last weekend, Jay and I barely squeezed in 9 miles Sunday evening. I was very torn on whether I wanted to complete my long run before, during or after the Summit. There were positives to all three like not having it hang over me, running with fellow blogger or spending time with Jay. After a week with not enough sleep I opted to wait until after the Summit to run.

IMG_0185

Of course this run was not only for fitness purposes, we also worked in grocery shopping. Yup, we ended our run at the grocery store. We had virtually no lunch food so waiting to go to the store was out of the question. Since my train was delayed, and therefore our run, the only way to guarantee that both happened was to stop on the way home from our run.

This tactic worked so well! Granted I was very prepared. We went in armed with a list and a reusable bag knowing we could only buy what we could carry. Since we had worked up quite a sweat, we efficiently moved through the store and only bought what we needed.

image

Almost everything I picked up (and needed) was on sale (score!) for $36.

  • Lettuce (3 Romaine Hearts)
  • 1 pt. Cherry Tomatoes
  • 4 Bananas
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1 large Creamer
  • 2 Sweet Potatoes
  • 1 Broccoli Crown
  • 1 pt. Mushrooms
  • 1 qt. Non-Fat Vanilla Yogurt
  • 2 packages of Lunchmeat (Buy 1 Get 1 Free)
  • Sweet & Sour Sauce
  • Hummus
  • 2 Individual Chocolate Milks (for refueling)

This weekend doesn’t look like it will pan out as nicely. Jay and I are not opposed to running in weather, but running during a hurricane? Stay tuned this weekend to find out how we squeeze in 20, oh and how the hurricane actually pans out.

 

How do you deal with weather when you are supposed to go on a long run?