Monday, June 6, 2011

The First Run

image

Saturday, before Jay started studying and I to the pool, we both got up bright and early for our first MCM training run. It was beautiful in DC on Saturday, a nice 68 degrees when we left for our 8 mile run at 8:30 in the morning. I wish I could expect that kind of weather for every run this summer, but I know the inevitable humidity is upon us next month.

image

Saturday was one of those days that I could have run forever, but I didn’t. Both my running partners, Jay and our friend Cristin were not feeling this run. This was good because we stuck to our training plan rather than pushing ourselves an extra mile or two.

Do you ever push yourself to go an extra mile or two on a longer training run?

Since I am afraid we will exhaust the downtown running routes, we opted to run into Old Town Alexandria. Our route took us down Mt. Vernon Ave to Wythe Street and over and back up the Mt. Vernon Trail. Maybe it should just be called the Mt. Vernon run? except that Jay and I fully intend to be dropped at Mt. Vernon to run home later this summer.

image

Before and after the run we were very disciplined about stretching and foam rolling. Jay has been having some IT Band issues which I know has been discouraging. Because of my experience last fall, I made sure we took the time to stretch. I am soo glad we did, because it felt great. I experience no soreness post run and jay said he felt a lot better during the run :)

image

One of my goals for the marathon is finish strong and feel strong. Here is to me hoping that a great first run means only more of the same to come!!

What are your goals for the first long run of marathon training?