Friday, February 11, 2011

Grocery Shopping Qualms

Ahhh, the perfect Friday evening enjoying Cranberry and Club Soda in front of the TV. Not to mention a Skype date with these lovely ladies.

Well with one more than the other. Bri and I originally planned the date, but thoroughly enjoyed Charlotte jumping on for a hot second. Which may or may not be the reason I am posting sooo late! I swear the majority of the post was written prior to said Skype date...

Earlier this evening after work, I headed to Target to return some khakis and peruse the sale racks. I decided against a pair of Boot Cut Jeans on sale for $13 (they just didn't fit right), but bought some cute underwear on sale. Yay! I love Target Sales!!! Best Buy was not successful. I didn't buy anything!!! No iPod case, no cell phone case and no laptop case. The ultimate FAIL.

Then I went to two grocery stores... and went a little overboard.

Chelsey's Grocery Store Shopping Series and Tina's Grocery Shopping 101 got me thinking about Jay and my grocery bills. At our old apartment we were pretty good about spending under $70 a week. But, we were also eating a lot of processed foods. Now, we eat a lot of fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans and some meat. The other problem... I love a good deal. Often, I find myself buy 1 to get 1 free.

Tonight's problem, two grocery stores. Normally, I am a fan of shopping at several stores to catch the deals. Tonight, I went a little too far... It all started in Harris Teeter with a list of about ten items. I left with $58 dollars worth of groceries. Not bad considering I bought a few things only because there was a good deal. Jay get ready to eat some English Muffins!!! Just kidding, I threw those babies in the freezer. But the kicker was I had not been to Costco....

Sometimes I wonder if I save any money by going to Costco. I bought enough veggies for an army. I also bought a huge tub of hummus, wholly guacamole and organic peanut butter. These three items alone were easily almost half the bill. Plus, they will last us more than one week (and hopefully the carrots will too). Total Costco bill = $45

This means I spent $103 at the grocery store, which is a little off our goal of a max of $75 a week. My only saving grace is that we really have all of our staple now. Next weekend should be a very light shop with the major shop I just completed and me heading out of town.

This weeks meal plan:
Sat - appetizers with the girls (I am making a veggie tray, hence Costco veggies)
Sun - early dinner with Opa for his 91st Birthday
Mon - Mama Pea's Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Tues - Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs and Broccoli
Wed - Large Salad with lots of veggies
Thurs - Tacos!
Fri- ??? (pizza?)
Sat - ???

Next weekend is a bit up in the air because my college roommate Nancy is coming to town!!! I am so excited to see her and show her around DC. I have already reserved tickets to take her and a friend up the Washington Monument!!! I am also contemplating a Ben's Chili Bowl visit in there, somewhere?!?!?!

Her visit next weekend has created the perfect well deserved excuse to have a low profile this weekend ;)

What are your weekend plans?

I also hoped to go on a run tomorrow, but unfortunately my foot feels a little week and stiff. I think instead I will enjoy a nice bike ride and some strength training. Hopefully I will be able to get back on the running bandwagon this week!