Monday, September 6, 2010

Pray or Congratulations to Meet You

I just finished the “Pray” section of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert on the metro this morning. I truly enjoy my morning commute, which surprises me since I also truly enjoyed my 10 minute morning walk. My metro ride (three stops) is just enough time to read a little section of whatever book I am on. I am usually not an everyday reader, but my commute gives me a reason to read everyday and can even motivate me to read more than 5 to 10 pages a day (depending which part of the book I am on).


This section took me a little longer than the “Eat” section, which I attribute to that fact that I need more time to digest it (making it perfect for my commute).

“Pray” tackles the broad idea of religion in an Ashram in India. I could relate to the idea of believing in a higher being regardless of your religious affiliation, if any, or being involved in an organized religion. Below is a picture that I believe represents organized religion, the pulpit and dome in the Vatican, Rome.


In the book, Liz tackles aspects of her divorce and lust for David in this section. I have not been through a divorce, but I was able to relate to how she struggles to let go and her desire to be forgiven. Her description of her religious journey was profound. I believe she was able to talk about her struggles candidly without pushing her beliefs on the reader. She took a different view on religion and stressed the importance in relying on something rather than who/what that something should or should not be. My serenity below, the beach, where I began this section of the book.


Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this section of the book, but believe it needs to be read over at least a week of time. There were several instances where I, myself, put the book aside and just thought about her concepts or calmed my mind myself.


Above, a truly serene experience, my trip to Venezuela in 2006. This is the view from our backyard.