Monday, June 14, 2010

S'more Fun

Oh the joys of camping! This past weekend, Jay, some of his classmates and I ventured out to Shenandoah National Park for some fun in the fresh air.


Above is one of our lovely campsites. Featured are my lovely Mazda with the tent Jay and I borrowed from my mom. As a child my parents took my brothers and me on two week family camping adventures. I am very thankful that she was crazy enough to take a 5, 8 and 11 year old camping for two weeks. Monster-truck sleeping bags and flying pig stories will forever be associated with those trips (try sharing a tent with your two brothers!!!)

The tent we borrowed was the tent my parents slept in (note my mom loves creature comfort) because the kids tent zipper is broken (one too many monster-truck sleeping bag rallies!)



One of our contests camping was to make the perfect s'more. Above, Jay is pictured with his favorite s'more. He preferred the classic double marshmallow, Hershey's chocolate, sandwiched between two graham crackers. Notice the golden brown color.

Tony's perfect s'more included natural peanut butter and flax seed, sliced banana, dark chocolate, a nicely browned marshmallow, sandwiched between two graham crackers. Then re-toast over the fire before enjoying!

Meanwhile my favorite s'more is somewhere in between the classic Jay and the gourmet Tony. Mine includes dark chocolate with two golden brown marshmallows between two graham crackers. Now, that is ideal. Below is my fail of a s'more (notice the burned marshmallow).


To conclude this camping update I have to thank our trusty lumberjacks, who cut the wood with a hatchet.


Thankfully, one of the other guys went and borrowed an ax the second night!