Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shrimp? It's what's for dinner!

Shrimp! It is what Jay wants for dinner!

Usually I stick with your traditional fish when I buy seafood. But, this week Jay accompanied me to the Giant and Gulf Shrimp were on sale, so I made myself a recipe for a scrumptiously healthy meal.


I began with whole grain rice. I followed the instructions on the back of the container: combine 1 cup rice, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 teaspoon of butter and salt in a pot. Bring the combination to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes.



Pictured above are the majority of the meals ingredients including chopped broccoli and red pepper, whole grain rice, canned peas, sliced water chestnuts, shrimp and chopped onion. teriyaki sauce, an egg, salt and pepper (S&P), red pepper, and garlic are not shown.

Next, I peeled the shrimp and finely chopped 1/4 of an onion.


I also chopped up the red pepper. Notice the container of sliced pepper. This makes packing lunches easier throughout the week.


Same goes for the broccoli which will also make appearances on my lunch this week.

When the rice has about 10 minutes left, start to sauté the shrimp. To do so, add butter to a non-stick pan or grill pan on medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the shrimp and onions and turn up the heat. Add seasoning, I used garlic powder, S&P, and red pepper.

Gulf Shrimp are naturally pink. When cooked they go from looking translucent to a more solid white color. Atlantic shrimp are blue in color, when they are cooked they turn pink.

When shrimp are just about cooked add the remaining veggies (red pepper, broccoli, water chestnuts, and peas). Sauté.

Once the rice has soaked up all the liquid add a tablespoon or two on teriyaki sauce and stir. Slowly add sautéed mixture and stir. Once 1/2 the mixture is combined crack an egg into the mixture. Continue to add the entire mixture and stir.

Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.


Above is the finished product. A suggestion to all who try this recipe, use frozen peas instead of canned as they will hold up better during the cooking process.