Monday, August 6, 2012

He’s Back Pizza

Jay moved back to DC on Friday, which meant that this little blog went empty while I enjoyed having my man back. But don't fret too much, before he stepped in the door, I did manage to photograph our welcome home dinner.

Jay loves Italian food, so I figured the best way to welcome him home was with some Summer Veggie Pizza. This could also be called a ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ pizza as I literally concocted it based on the veggies I had left in my fridge from last week. 

Summer Veggie Pizza

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup chopped Red Onion
  • 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped Green Pepper
  • 1/2 cup of Corn
  • 1/2 a Zucchini (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup of your favorite Marinara Sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Garlic Marinara)
  • 1 cup Italian Blend Shredded Cheese (3/4 cup and then 1/4 cup)
  • Cooking Spray
  • Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
  • 1 Roma Tomato

Directions:

1. Preheat oven per the pizza crusts instructions. The crust I used called for 450 degrees Fahrenheit. If using a pizza stone, don’t forget to put the stone in the oven to heat up while preheating.

IMG_1714

2. Chop all veggies. Sauté the red onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes until the onion appears translucent. Add the corn, green pepper and zucchini. I used frozen corn, and if you use frozen veggies, add them about 3 minutes prior to adding fresh veggies.

3. Pull pizza stone out of the oven and spray with cooking spray. Place crust on top and spread 1/2 cup of Marinara sauce on the crust.

IMG_1719

4. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of Cheese over sauce.

5. Add sautéed veggies. Yum!

IMG_1720

6. Top with sliced Roma Tomato.

7. Sprinkle the last 1/4 cup of Cheese on top. 

IMG_1721

8. Bring the oven heat down to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake pizza for 10 minutes (or as detailed on crusts package).

IMG_1722

9. Once the Cheese is melted and the crust has browned, pull the pizza out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.

10. Cut and enjoy!

IMG_1725

We enjoyed our Summer Veggie Pizza with a bottle of Spumante from our Bar Shower. This meal was the perfect ending to our time apart! :-)

IMG_1726IMG_1727

The rest of the weekend was packed with pool time, board games and packing. Only 10 days left until we jet off to California! I hope to post about our packing process. We will be gone 25 days, so packing has been a bit tricky. Thankfully we had Sunday to evaluate what we had, go on (hopefully) one last shopping trip and start the process.

Our shopping trip composed mostly of toiletries. I also picked up 2 pairs of underwear that I can easily wash and hang dry at the campsite. Our original plan was to bring underwear that we wanted to throw away. As I started sorting my underwear, I was sad to see that I had less old underwear than I originally anticipated.

 

How far out do you pack for a trip? What are your packing suggestions for a long trip?