Monday, July 2, 2012

Powerless

My parents have been powerless since Friday evening. Of course I showed up in Baltimore around 6 p.m. for a few days. Commitments like Bridal Showers and Doctor’s Appointments have resulted in me working from home (aka a Panera in Baltimore) today.


Life could be worse. Actually we got VERY lucky. My parents had to get two trees removed due to the derecho that tore through the mid-Atlantic states Friday evening. (Fun-ish fact: I have now survived two derechos. The first one I survived I was in a tent in the Adirondacks).


One of those trees split in half. Thankfully it caused very little damage.


Sadly, for our neighbor, the damage was on her property. In Maryland, homeowners have to deal with the damage on their property regardless of whose tree it is. I don’t think my neighbor is pleased, but at least my parents paid to get the tree removed from her lawn.

The other tree that was removed was cracked but had not yet fallen. Thankfully, we were able to get a tree guy out on Saturday and Sunday to remove both trees.


Clean-up is moving along quickly, but sadly we will be without power for the rest of the week. You will hear otherwise if that changes.
Due to the lack of power, yesterday Jay and I were sent out to find dry ice for my parents and 3 of their neighbors. We found some, but waited for 2 1/2 hours for it in the blazing sun.

Thankfully everyone was very nice. I mean we were all in the same boat. Jay and I were hero's when we returned with 40 lbs. of dry ice and 80 lbs. of loose ice. Total cost, almost $80.




Even with the ice, we would have lost a lot of food. Instead of letting the food hit the trash, my mom invited 12 of her closest friends over. Everyone brought a side dish and we cooked up all the meat from the freezer. Nothing like a mix of lamb, steak and sausage to make a crowd happy!

After the party, we hunkered down and washing dishes in the dark (I know your jealous).


We’ll continue to document the week, but don’t be surprised if you don’t hear from me as frequently.

Were you hit by the derecho? or how long have you gone without power?