Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Poisonwood Bible

IMG_1350 (640x480)

I finally finished it! After about 2 months, I can say I completed both April and May's goal. I had a lot of trouble getting into Barbara Kingslover's acclaimed novel The Poisonwood Bible, but I am so glad I made my way through it.

After talking to a number of friends, I realized I was not the only one who had a lot of trouble getting into this book. It took me about 100 pages to really get into it. But, I am glad I did give finally get into it.

I loved that it was told primarily through each of the daughters point of view. I did find their narrative a bit confusing at first as I tried to figure out who was who (realize I read on the metro and often pick up and put down the book between chapters). I don't think this would be a problem if you read a chapter at a time. I loved watching (or reading) the girls grow up and seeing how Africa, their relationships with their family and America impacted their lives.

minor spoiler alert ahead

I thought it was pretty obvious who was going to die. Orlenna divulges that one of her daughter's dies pretty early on in the book. As soon as she mentions leaving a child in Africa I knew which daughter it would be. I am ok with who Kingsolver kills off, but think it would have been interesting to watch that character develop as she aged.

 

Have you read The Poisonwood Bible? What did you think?