Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Half

Well gang, I did it! I completed the USA Rock ‘n’ Roll Half!

To start let me bring you back to last night. I got home from work and immediately started relaxing and making dinner. I had a fantastic plate of pasta topped with Gorgonzola Cheese and a Blue Moon. YUM!

image

The best part of last night, I was in bed by 9:30!! This of course meant I was well rested to take awkward photos this morning of my running outfit (no judging!!).

image

As soon as I realized that my training was not going as well as I planned, I decided this race would be for fun. The best way to have fun, is get a fun outfit.

image

The best part of course was the socks!! Ok, they were probably the best part of the race. In the end, I finished so I am proud of that! Trust me, it didn’t come easy!!

The first 6 miles were honestly a lot easier than I anticipated!! They flew by and I started to wonder if I would be able to make my goal of a sub 2 hour half. By the 7th mile I knew that was wishful thinking! My hip started the ache and I knew I was in trouble.

As you can tell from my time I quickly slowed down after mile 10 (at least I know I am ready for the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in two weeks).

image

As you can tell from my times, the last three miles were HARD. I would be lying to you if I said I ran the entire thing… I am actually glad I slowed down to a walk because it gave me time to take a GU and move my legs in a different manner. I think my body really needed the GU.

In the end, walking or not walking, I finished!!

image

Woohoo! I got myself a Rock ‘n’ Roll medal.

image

I think if anything I learned a very valuable lesson during this race: If you train well you will race well:: if you don’t train well, the race will be HARD!!! So, note to self – follow your training plan!!

Now time to carb load before my next activity, celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!