Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Treacherous Training Tuesday

I know what you are all thinking, two days of alliterations!! I promise it will not continue tomorrow!

Today I got back on track by going to morning Yoga. I love this class and have missed it dearly! I wake up at 5:45, throw on my Yoga clothes and run across the street to this 6 a.m. class. I was back in my apartment and showered by about 7:10 a.m. Yes, I am spoiled, I live across the street from my gym! I don't know how people drive to the gym in the morning, I am just NOT that motivated!

I was a little rushed this morning because I wanted to get back before the big snow event!

Um I wish!!! The picture above is from the 2010 Snowmageddon in DC. Right now it looks closer to below... which was from Saturday (yes I am a slacker for not taking real pictures, but it's dark outside).

Anyway, I did manage to get a good four miles in practically before the freezing rain followed by snow. Practically, as in our cool down was a 1/4 mile of careful walk in the freezing rain... at least it felt great! I didn't want to start my training schedule on the wrong foot! Amazingly, I wasn't the only runner itching to get a nice run in before the Winter Weather arrived. I wouldn't call the trail packed, but Jay and I passed about a dozen or so runners and bikers.

Below is my current training schedule. I am very set on the three runs during the week plus gradually increasing the mileage of my long weekend runs.

BP stands for my new favorite exercise class, BodyPump. I hope to make it to at least 3 to 4 classes a week and decided I would be more likely to achieve this goal if I put the classes on my schedule. Thankfully, I have some class flexibility, my gym offers some form of Yoga and/or BodyPump Monday through Thursday. So, tomorrow due to the snow I may just attend BodyPump instead of running and BodyPump. I am just not a treadmill runner, but depending on how winter goes, I may have to suck it up!

The only other class I want to try is Cycle. My Yoga instructor teaches a class that would fit well into my schedule. I am just not sure if another leg workout is something I should do. I think I may try it in the two months between the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler and when I plan to start training for the Marine Corps Marathon.


PS: It took me waaay too long to figure out how to get my training schedule on here... and please feel free to give me feedback about my training schedule!

Now, what was for dinner? My current work commute book is Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. Today I read the section about meat... how poorly farm animals are treated and all those lovely antibiotics and hormones they eat = I am eating. While I have no intention of giving up meat, after reading this section I had no intention of consuming meat this evening. There is always tomorrow!

Instead, a nice salad with Quinoa, Chick Peas and Tomatoes. It was delicious!


Tuesday Thinker Trio (I promise it will stop tomorrow!!)

Have you read Skinny Bitch? What did you think?

I picked up this book because I want to be educated, but I honestly have no intentions of drastically changing my diet. We currently eat lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains and beans. We do not eat processed food very often. And, we exercise frequently. I love meat, ice cream and coffee, and plan to continue eating all (hopefully the ice cream not as frequently). I just want to be informed!

What race(s) are you currently training for?

Just the Cherry Blossom 10 miler, because I am saving up my strength for the Marine Corps Marathon this Fall!

Tell me something interesting about a celebrity that attended your Alma mater.

Darius Rucker received the 2010 Distinguished Alumni Award at the University of South Carolina.