Saturday, December 18, 2010

New York, New York!

Earlier this week, I mentioned my trip to NYC.

A few months ago, we learned we won FREE tickets to a show tapping. More on that tomorrow... but as a result, we had the privilege to spend about 24 hours in the great city of Manhattan.

We got up early Thursday and boarded a bus to Manhattan. I spent the bus trip finishing a gift for my brother's wife (and she liked them!!).

There was bit of drama the night before when I realized I didn't tell my brother that there were 4 of us plus the three of them (Tasha's sister was in town). The restaurant that my brother made a reservation at could not increase our reservation. Both my brother and I were a little hesitant to show up and wait since our reservation was at 9 p.m. So, I got on Open Table and reserved a table for 7 at another restaurant.

My brother said he heard good things about the first place that we were supposed to go to, so we decided to drop by on our way to the taping.

5 Napkin Burger was really good. We were told there was a 25 minute wait, so we grabbed a drink and only waited about 10 minutes at the bar before being seated. The food was very good, reasonably priced and the service was fast and efficient. Overall, we really enjoyed lunch and it left us full for our busy busy day!

After lunch, we had a little time, so we headed to Central Park.

We wondered for a while in the south east corner of the park. We saw lots of bike taxis and horse drawn carriages.

After some wandering, we decided to head over to Strawberry Fields.

And take a look at the mosaic.

After our little stroll, we headed to the tapping. More on that tomorrow... The important thing was that it was 29 degrees... and we were outside almost all day...

After the tapping and dinner with my brother, we wandered through Times Square and grabbed a beer at Smith's Bar near Times Square. The beers were reasonable for NYC and it was close to our hotel.

The next morning, we got up early and headed over to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas decorations.

And, we stopped by the Today Show!!!

It was pretty cool to see the show live. We were even on TV for a brief moment before a commercial break.

After Rockefeller Center, we grabbed a quick lunch and went to Macy's. Like the Macy's!!! Did you know there are like 9 levels!! And some of the escalators are wooden. So cool!

Well, that is it for now. I am going to disappear into my bed as I recover from this nasty nasty cold. Yes, of all the things I could bring back, I brought back a nasty cold that has ruined my weekend. Originally, I was supposed to run the Winter Celtic Solstice 5 miler in B-more, set up the Christmas Tree, and meet-up with a few friends. Instead I am going through boxes of tissues, drinking lots of tea and water and watching lots and lots of TV. All in hopes of being better by Christmas!

What are you up to this weekend?