Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy early Birthday Alissa!!!

Tonight, the girls and I had a surprise Birthday Party for Alissa. Alissa's Birthday isn't until next week, but we wanted to make sure we did something as December Birthdays are always challenging. Since we already planned a "Snowman" party we thought yesterday would be the perfect time to surprise her!!


I had saved some Holiday cookies!!! and cleaned the apartment (Alissa - you should feel special).
And made Vegetarian Enchiladas!!! Previously, I had been using other people's recipes, but my one problem with using others ideas is I can't remember them off the top of my head. So, after some internet research for ingredients and cooking times and temps, I created MY Cupboard Vegetarian Enchiladas.
I started by chopping up garlic and onion and throwing it on the stove in some EVOO.

After about three minutes I threw in a cup of chopped frozen peppers. Let the peppers heat through.

Now, add in an 11 oz can of sweet corn and 16 oz can of black beans. Let them heat through (about 2-3 minutes). And add a 16 oz can of refried beans. Turn the heat of high and mix until the refried beans are combined with your vegetables. Add your seasonings.


Lastly, add 1/3 of the Red Enchilada Sauce and sprinkle some cheese and put on simmer. While your enchilada concoction is simmering, set up to fill your tortillas. Add about a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of mixture into the tortilla and roll it up. Once you have all 24 (23 tonight... I guess I went a little filling heavy...) pour the remained of the Red Enchilada Sauce on your Enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.

I did all this in about 23 minutes!!!



I normally do not time my cooking, but the birthday girl was running early, and thankfully had the courtesy to call first (at 2 for her 3 o'clock party). I really wanted to prep this meal, so I knew I had my work cut out for me!!! Thankfully, it only took me about 20 minutes (and I didn't even feel that rushed)!! (Plus 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees), but I waited to cook the enchiladas until everyone had arrived.

Recipe: Cupboard Vegetarian Enchiladas

1/2 Onion
1 clove of Garlic
1 tbsp EVOO
1 cup of chopped Peppers
1 11 oz can of Corn
1 16 oz can of Black Beans
1 16 oz can of Refried Beans
tt Red and Black Pepper
tt Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 10 oz can of Red Enchilada Sauce
Mexican Cheese mix
24 tortillas


tt = to taste
time: 50 minutes (25 active : 25 cooking)
serves: 8-10 people
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Chop onion and garlic. Put in pan on high heat with the EVOO. Let heat for about 3 minutes or until onions begin to caramelize. 2. Add and combine chopped peppers. Let heat through. 3. Add and combine drained canned corn and drained black beans. Turn heat down to medium and let heat through. 4. Add and combine refried beans and turn up the heat. Add spices. Stir. Let heat through, may take as long as 5 minutes. 5. Add 1/3 cup of red enchilada sauce and a sprinkle with cheese. Stir. 6. Put about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling onto a tortilla. Roll the tortilla and place in a sprayed 9 1/2 by 11 pan (you will need 2 pans). Continue until all the filling is gone (anywhere from 20-24 tortillas). 7. Top with the remaining red enchilada sauce and a healthy amount of cheese. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 25 minutes. 8. Serve!!!

Only one pan is shown below.



Of course no Mexican food is complete without Guacamole, Salsa and Chips. Today I used the Ortega Guacamole mix. I thought it was pretty easy (mash avocado and mix) and tasted pretty good.

And, no Birthday Party is complete without trying to make s'mores over the gas stove!!!
Happy Birthday Alissa!

Have you ever planned a surprise party for one of your friends? Tell me about your party!! What did you make?