Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chili Chili Chili

Guess who is heading to NYC in the morning?!?!?! Yup, this girl!

After I got home from the day wouldn't end. I always feel this way about work right before taking a few days off. Jay and I quickly packed an over-night-bags and cracked open a few beers. And of course, the beer bottle tops were added to our collection... on the ceiling!

Yes, Jay started this lovely art piece on our ceiling out of beer tops. I just hope he gets it out of his system while we rent. Yes, sweetie, I am not going to let you do that when we own a home, so enjoy it now.

Then, I made a big batch of Chili! I love making chili for several reasons, including (but not limited to) the fact that it is always slightly different and it is great to store for later.
Link
Since Finals are over and my roommates are heading home, this girl (who works in the "real world") is still around. Next week when I am alone (and has a surprising number of meetups!!) I wanted some easy dinners and lunches ready (and so I don't have to go on a big shop). What better way to prep for next week than a big pot of chili?!?!?!

I present Chili Chili Chili. As I mentioned, my chili varies on what is in the apartment. Tonight's included lots of canned good:


1 lb ground beef, 3/4 a red onion, 1 plum tomato, 1 cup frozen peppers chopped, 1 can corn,
1 can black beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 can diced tomatoes,
1 can tomato paste, chili powder, red and black pepper, 2 tbsp sugar, cayenne pepper

Phew!! This recipe has a lot more ingredients than I realized. No wonder my cabinets look empty all of a sudden!

For chili and meat spaghetti sauce I always cook the meat right out of the freezer. My mom did it this way, so I do it this way! And, because you get a more ground beef effect. Every minute flip the beef and (using a spatula) scrap off the cooked meat. Your beef comes off in smaller chunks than if you defrost it.

Besides the onion, don't add any additional ingredients until the meat is fully cooked.

Then add vegetables liberally. I chop my vegetables in small chunks (including the frozen veggies).

Then I add the canned goods. Can you tell Jay helped take pictures tonight?

For a thicker chili, don't forget to drain them first!!!

And simmer...

Cover and let sit. Honestly, the longer the better. Tonight, we only let it simmer about 20 minutes.

Serve, top and enjoy!

How do you make your chili?