Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mornings My Way

I talk a lot about loving oats and my morning runs. So here is a little window into my typical morning.

This morning Jay and I woke up at 6:25 a.m. and went on a nice 4 mile run to the 14th street bridge and back. Yesterday we ran 2 miles, same route, half as far. This was my first run in the chilly fall weather for the year. I was dreading this run because I had such a bad reaction to DC's fall weather last year. This short run helped my confidence, and this showed this morning!

After our run I jumped in the hot shower and then settled in front of the Today show with my oats and piping hot coffee.



My typical oats consist of a packet of Instant Kirkland Organic Oatmeal (this morning Apples & Cinnamon), Bob's Red Mill Flax Meal, Granola (the Whole Foods Nut Lovers Blend), Kirkland Natural Peanut Butter, Libby's Pumpkin and Pumpkin Spice.


Growing up, I was strictly a JIFF girl. But recently, I learned of Kirkland's Organic Natural Peanut Butter. Not only is it cheaper than JIFF, it is very natural. Just look at the Ingredients. Jay even figured out that if you keep it in the fridge, it has the same consistency as JIFF.

Ok so the MIX.

1. Pour Instant Oats into bowl (or my preference my mug). I like the individual packets for portion control and for their taste on morning when I am low on "oat dressings". Because of all the extra stuff I throw on my oats, I am debating about bulk burying once we finish this box of instant oat packets.

2. Add Flax Meal. Flax Meal is great! It is full of fiber, acts as a digestive aid and is a cholesterol controller. Plus, it gives your food a nice nutty taste and leaves you feeling fuller.

3. Add a little Pumpkin Spice and mix.

4. Add two tablespoons of Pumpkin.

Did you know that you can keep canned pumpkin in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for up to a month? Just make sure you put it in a different container (aka not the can). Peel that Libby's label to learn more about storage and for some great pumpkin recipes.

5. Add some water. My general rule of thumb is until the water just barely covers my oats.

6. Pop that baby in the microwave for 1 minute.

7. Remove oatmeal and throw in a tablespoon of peanut butter.


8. Throw in your desired amount of granola.


9. Enjoy with a piping hot cup of coffee!


This breakfast is one of the few that keeps me full after a run and until my 10:30 a.m. snack.

Stay tuned for my other oatmeal mixes and running program. This weekend will include my last long run before our ten mile race and the Warrior Dash!

What is your go to breakfast?