Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July Book Club

This month we read "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this book has not been my favorite.

I appreciate her effort to write a book that is not self loathing or about a heroine that starves herself into her skinny jeans, but the fact that it takes the majority of the book for her to get serious was frustrating.

The last 100 pages were by far the best part of the book. She gets serious with her trainer, Barbie, and gives readers the details of her work outs. Being fit is hard work and time consuming, so I appreciate the fact that she conveys those points, I just wish it happened sooner.

The other aspect of the book that I thoroughly enjoyed was reading about Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. My parents did Weight Watchers my senior year of high school so I knew what was involved and how it can really teach people to eat better and balance their food choices. Hearing her experience with meetings just made me laugh because my father would come home and complain about the same exact things!!

Overall, talking with the girls about the book gave me some perspective, but no one really loved it, if they even finished it. I may give her another chance, but at this point, I am ready for our August book to be announced.

Have you read a book by Jen Lancaster? What did you think?