Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Our Cake

Our wedding is this weekend and I am just getting to telling you about our cake. Better late than never, right?!

One of the reasons we booked with the Elkridge Furnace Inn was because they took care of so many of the details for us. One of those details being the cake.

We waited until 2 weeks before our wedding to sit down with Elkridge to do our cake tasting and final meeting. We were probably their longest meeting ever because as is our style (we got off on random tangit stories and ridiculous quotes like "marriage is betrayal" from my Opa this spring). At least we make wedding planning fun, right?

When we arrived for our meeting, Elkridge had three cakes for us to try. A traditional pound cake with a raspberry filling, carrot cake with an apple filling and chocolate cake. From the beginning, I always wanted a red velvet cake. Needless to say my heart was set and I was happy because this cake is nut-free and one of my bridesmaids could eat it.
(source)
Jay on the other hand fell in love with the carrot cake. So we decided to do two red velvet cake layers and two carrot cake layers. Then the nut issue came up. Our venue was happy to make a nut-free carrot cake, but Jay wanted his nuts! Thankfully, our bridesmaid was very understanding and agreed to refrain from eating the cake so Jay could have the cake of his dreams. It always amazes me about the things guys care about when it comes to weddings.

Now that we had our type of cake and icing determined, we moved on to layers and details. I love my mom, but she is not good with lots of options. After limiting her to a few options, we decided that a round, centered, 4 layer cake would be best. Sorry mom, we'll have a tiered 1980's Princess Diana style cake at your 50th wedding anniversary.

(source)
In the end we will have a hybrid of the two cakes on this page. The icing will be grandma style like the first cake but include the green ribbon like the second cake. Overall, I love the cake and know that I will love the real thing come this Sunday!

What did you wedding cake look like?