Sunday, January 8, 2012

Can you Keep a Secret?


What?!?! Two books in a row! I know, I know, not my normal routine. I am up in NYC this weekend with the family, so instead of letting the blog go empty I thought I would tell you about my first read of 2012 (wow, it's already 2012?!!?).

Can you Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella is a fantastic read. The story follows Emma, a girl who has been keeping small secrets her entire life. At the beginning of the book, she is flown to Glasgow on business as a fill in. It should be a simple meeting, but everything just seems to go wrong. At the airport on her way home, she knocks a few back to calm her nervous and ends up having a nervous break-down on the flight, spilling all her secrets to the man next to her. From then on her secrets are slowly and also abruptly poured out to everyone she knows, but she rises to the occasion (with a little bit of crying).

I really enjoyed this book. Yes, it is Chick-lit. Yes, it is kind of corny and very unlikely, but it's a quick reead that makes you feel good inside. I would rate this book much like Sophie Kinsella's other book The Undomestic Goddess. This books makes me want to be a Sophie Kinsella fan, in fact I am a fan, just not of the Shopaholic Series.