Thursday, July 21, 2011

Harry Potter 7.2–It’s All Over

Disclaimer: If you haven’t watched the movie or read the book, and you don’t want to learn what happens, DON’T READ THIS POST!  If you do, solemnly swear you’re up to no good.

On Friday, Lauren and I went and saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. We left work a tad early to ensure we saw the movie in a less hectic theatre, which worked out perfectly.

Now I have a strict Harry Potter rule not to read the book within 6 months of seeing the movie.   Per usual I am so glad I didn’t because I did not get caught up in the details of “well the book did it that way” and “why did they do that??”. But you better believe I am going to re-read the book in the very near future.

image

(Source)

We opted not to see the movie in IMAX 3D and I am glad we didn’t. While there is a time and a place to see a 3D movie, I felt that since all the rest of the Harry Potter movies weren’t in 3D, it wasn’t necessary to see this one any differently. After watching my brother’s review, I am wondering if I should splurge and see it again in 3D (especially if I get HP 3D glasses).

While I agree that this movie would stand better with its prequel, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, I did really like how they started the movie by picking up exactly where they left off at Dumbledore’s grave when Voldemort steals the Elder Wand.

image

The next scene that stood out to me was the journey in Gringotts. Like many avid Harry Potter fans, I had a magnificent mental image of that scene from the book, and while they did not portray it exactly as I imagined it, I approve of their approach.  With that said, I agree with my friend Lauren that the dragon seemed a lot sadder than he did in the book. I also loved watching the Hermione/Bellatrix character mix-up. Emma Watson/Helena Bonham Carter did a great job of portraying Hermione’s uneasiness with the situation.

image

The next scene that stood out to me was the one where Harry, Hermione and Ron are in Aberforth (Dumbledore’s home). In the book this scene is vivid and builds a lot on Albus Dumbledore’s character. As much as I loved this scene in the book, I completely understand why it was cut from the movie.

image

My next favorite scene is of that in the Room of Requirement. The filmmakers literally brought my imagination to life. This is one of the scenes I have created a vivid imagination for, so I was very happy that they portrayed it well. My only complaint is what happened  to Crabbe? I realize why they cut the actor, but they couldn’t find a fill in who looked more like Crabbe??

image

(Source)

The final scene that impressed me was the Epilogue. I hated the Epilogue in the book. I thought it was very corny and unnecessary. In the movie, I thought the filmmakers did a great job of closing the book. Maybe it was because I was so down on it in the book or that I just loved the last frame of the film, but it really pulled the entire series together wonderfully.

image

Besides my favorite scenes, there were a few interactions that I loved. I thought the filmmakers did a great job portraying the relationship between Harry Potter and Snape. I felt that they picked just the right amount of material and memories to portray Snape’s love for Lily and eventually for Harry.

image

The other interaction I loved was the one between Narcissa and Harry. It was great that she backed out on the Dark Lord to protect her family. And maybe I am a softy, but I truly believe they switched sides in the end, even if they are perceived as awkward at the end of the movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film as the movie version of the book. I agree with my friends that certain scenes were played down a little too much in the movie. Also one thing that I did not notice until Lauren pointed it out is that in the 2D movie you can tell where the 3D parts were.

The Harry Potter book series has a very special place in my heart, and that special place is kept far away from the special place in my heart where the movies are kept (they wouldn’t get along).

Below is what my brother thought.

What did you think of the last Harry Potter movie?

*All images are courtesy of The Internet Movie Database unless otherwise noted.