Monday, June 13, 2011

9 miles?

Another week of training down!!! We have managed to complete 2 weeks of training without deviating from our schedule too much. If that doesn’t scream success, I don’t know what does! Hopefully this is a good omen for the weeks to come (knock on wood).

Pic_0611_019

As you can imagine, we were up pretty early Saturday to squeeze in 9 miles before the heat was unbearable. I was not with it enough at 6:15 a.m. to take a picture of our actual wake-up time, but I thought our getting dressed time was good enough.

From our training experience, I have learned that for a longer run, I need food! Jay humored me and got up early to eat before throwing on our running clothes and overly spraying ourselves with 55 SPF sunscreen (spray sunscreen is key!!). At 7:15 a.m. we met Cristin to drive downtown to start a monumental run on Ohio Drive.

When I went to map our route on Map My Run, I couldn’t help but chuckle a little. When running, we used Jay’s iPhone to track our progress.

photo

As you can tell, either Jay was running around the National Mall drunk or Map My Run is not a perfect science. On our run, his iPhone told us we ran 8.77 miles, close enough right?

image

Well, when I tracked our route on my computer, it came to 8.27 miles. So who do I believe? Map My Run on Jay’s iPhone or on my computer?

photo(1)

Regardless, I was very happy with our run. While Hains Point can be unbearably boring, Saturday it was packed with people at 7:30 a.m. All the bikers and runners made the run so much more fun. I love to people-watch and those bikers can definitely be entertaining. I may or may not have been entertained by counting one biker pass by us no less than 5 times.

What can I say, I had a great run and could have run forever. Thankfully I had two great running partners and my stomach to reel me in. Note to self: coffee before a long run is always a bad idea!!

Sadly, this was probably one of last runs with our friend Cristin who is leaving for clinic. Cristin has been a great long run partner as she is a great pacer. I hope Jay and I can keep a steady pace as we continue to train throughout the summer.

photo(2)

Next week, we plan to conquer 10 miles. Hopefully this time our distance calculator is a little more accurate!

How do you calculate mileage for your long run? Should I splurge a buy either a Garmin or a new digital camera?