Sunday, May 1, 2011

Kanlaya Thai Cuisine

Saturday evening, Jay and I decided to have a Groupon/ Living Social date night.

photo

We started the evening at Kanlaya Thai Cuisine in Chinatown. A few months ago my boss saw this Groupon pop-up and recommended it to me. Jay and I find that Groupon/ Living Social is a great way to explore new restaurants on date night while staying within our budget.

photo(3)

As soon as we sat down, we knew that this was a great pre-movie restaurant. It is located around the corner from the Chinatown movie theatre and has very reasonable menu prices. In fact, we had trouble using the entire $40 value we had on our Groupon.

photo(4)

Jay was able to order a beer (he could have had 2) and we had the Golden Triangle appetizer. Honestly, I found this appetizer a little flavor-less. It was a simply crispy fried tofu, served w/ crushed peanuts and sweet dipping sauce. The sweet dipping sauce saved the dish.

photo(1)

For dinner, I had Tofu with mixed Vegetable Pad King (ginger, onions, scallions and mushrooms in light bean sauce). As you can tell from the picture I dug right in. It was soo tasty, that I had to remind myself to stop and take a picture before cleaning my plate. This delicious and filling meal was only $10.

photo(2)

Meanwhile, Jay opted for the Beef Pad Thai (Rice noodles with spiced tofu, egg, bean sprouts, scallions and peanuts). He loved it and also found it very filling. I had a quick bite of his and was very glad for my menu choice. But in the end, he was happy and that is all that matters. His meal came in it the perfect price of $12.

(Source)

After dinner we saw Water for Elephants. Jay choose Sucker Punch with our last Fandango Living Social coupon, so I got to choose the movie. I was very tempted to make him see Disney’s Prom, but alas I was a nice fiancĂ© and took him to Water for Elephants. He was nice enough to acknowledge that for a chick flick he was entertained. I also liked the movie, but I didn’t love it. Maybe I am getting old, but I thought there was way too much violence!!!

Have you see Water for Elephants? What did you think?

What restaurants have you discovered through Groupon or Living Social? Tell me the good, bad and ugly!