Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Florence, Italy–January 2007

Florence was my mom and my second stop on our two week trip to Italy. I loved each location in Italy for very different reasons. In Florence I thoroughly enjoyed the ART!!

The greatest advantage to traveling to Italy in the Winter was the lack of other tourists. This allowed us to walk into the Uffizi Gallery and the Gallery of the Academy of Fine Arts. At the Uffizi we were able to hang around our favorite paintings including The Birth of Venus as long as we pleased. At the Gallery we walked right up to the original David without waiting in line. We could see him from every angle in the hall. Seeing David in person was by far my favorite experience of Florence.

One of my favorite areas in Florence is the Piazza della Signoria. I loved the statues outside and the clock tower. Fun fact, the Bromo Seltzer Tower in Baltimore was modeled after the Palazzo Vecchio. Maybe that is why I liked it so much?!?!

00000007

I also loved the sculpture in the foreground which is Giambologna's The Rape of the Sabine Women. Not the prettiest name, but isn’t it breathtaking?

DSCN0756

This piazza is also home to the Fountain of Neptune by Bartolomeo Ammannati and a copy of David.

00000001

And some Holiday cheer! Have I highly recommended going to Italy over the Holidays?!?! It is so beautiful!

DSCN0743

Besides taking in the art, Christmas decorations and gelato at Piazza della Signoria, my mom and I also took advantage of a Hop-On Hop-Off Tour Bus. The highlight was Piazzale Michelangeo where there was another copy of David.

DSCN0663

And stunning views that were made for pictures.

DSCN0674DSCN0673

One Bride and Groom thought so too!

image

I am embarrassed how many photos I have of this Bride and Groom… my mom is ridiculous sometimes! Good thing she took them on my digital camera!

The bus ride also allowed for some great views of the Ponte Vecchio, which we also walked across and shopped at.

DSCN0670DSCN0671

Our Hop-On Hop-Off tour even took us up into the Hills of Tuscany! It was definitely money well spent!

Of the three cities we planned to visit, Florence was the one I was least excited for. In the end, I enjoyed it as equally as Venice and Rome and for very different reasons. Florence has a unique culture unlike the other two Italian cities, plus it is home to more famous art anyone could see in a life time. If you are planning a trip to Italy, make Florence a priority!