Saturday, February 26, 2011

Skinny Bitch

Mama Pea wrote a post in early 2011 about her vegetarian and vegan book, film ad cookbook recommendations. At the top of her list was Skinny Bitch, by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.

Having heard a lot about this book, I thought I would pick it up and give it a try. I had no intention to go vegetarian or vegan, I just wanted to know what all the commotion was about! I wanted to know why others choose to become a vegetarian or vegan.

And, no wonder there was so much commotion over this book. As Mama Pea said, the tone is a bit off-putting, but its also straight forward and tough. I enjoyed the book for its thorough research and sound nutritional advice. Even as a meat eater, I took some valuable lessons from this book, including READ THE INGREDIENTS. We are in control of what we put in out bodies!!!

As for the vegan push, I was disgusted by the standards in which our food is processed, in particular, meat. I do think that animal cruelty is a shame, and that we should do more to prevent it. But, I also think that meat is an essential part of our lifestyles.

I found the anatomy discussion of the human body and our inability to digest meat interesting. As a result of this and the sanitation standards, Jay and I have decided to cut back on meat, but NOT cut it out entirely. I mean who doesn't enjoy a good burger, steak or pulled BBQ? I think what is important to take away from this book is all the chemicals we put into our bodies. I understand that my on-sale red pepper is not organic and probably has been sprayed with some sort of pesticide, but I also know that less than a mile from my apartment, some child is not receiving enough food, let alone any healthy options.

I think there is a bigger issue is that people in this country are not educated on what they put into their mouths. I think that is the biggest crime!

I highly recommend this book to meat-eaters, vegetarians and vegans alike. I think they illustrate important points and seek to teach their readers about proper nutrition. But, at the end of the day, I think America's real problem is that not every person ate a vegetable today and didn't think twice about it.

Have you read Skinny Bitch? What did you think? And, what was your biggest take-away point?