Thursday, November 11, 2010

Recipe Box Stuffed Acorn Squash

Tonight, I decided to pull out one of my favorite Fall Recipes, Stuffed Acorn Squash. I keep this recipe in my recipe box, hand written on a note card.





My recipe box was started sometime between high school and college when I decided to pursue a Hospitality Degree. At both of the University's I attended I was required to take at least one Culinary Lab. My experience in Culinary Lab at Boston University was one of the best experiences in my BU career. This recipe box is full of all the cooking basics, and yes that includes the Five Basic Sauces (one of the harder tests in college)!

Besides my Culinary experience at BU, this recipe box means ONLY one thing, I have no clue where (or for that matter when) the recipe originated from or if it has been altered. Well, except for the alterations I made tonight. I swear no meal is ever the same in this household!

Ingredients:
  • 2 Acorn Squash (I could not find find two medium to large ones, so I bought 3 small)
  • 1 tbsp of Butter
  • 1 lb Turkey Sausage
  • 1 Macintosh Apple (cored and chopped)
  • 1 Onion (chopped)
  • 1 cup of fine Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
  • 1/4 cup of Flax Meal
  • 1 cup sliced Spinach
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 1/4 cup of dried Cranberries
  • Brown Sugar
  • EVOO (for sautéing the Onion before the Sausage)
Step One: Halve the Acorn Squash and clean out the guts. Put in a pan with half an inch of water.



Step Two:
Combine Butter, Brown Sugar and brush over Acorn Squash. Bake the Squash at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes (may take more or less time depending on size of Squash - it is done when the Squash looks like it is starting to brown).



Short Cut: Or you can microwave the Squash 4 to 6 minutes a pound. If you choose to microwave your squash, it will not turn a beautiful golden brown color.

Step Three:
To make the Stuffing: Start by sautéing the Onion in EVOO. Once the Onion has caramelized add the Turkey Sausage until light brown. Add Apple and Cranberries and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.











Step Four: Combine mixture with Bread Crumbs and Flax Meal in a large bowl. Taste and season with the Brown Sugar. Add in some sliced Spinach. Stir in an Egg.









Step Five: Fill the Squash until their is a 1/2 mound. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.







Step Six:
Once finished you may choose to garnish with more Brown Sugar!!!!







Tonight I served the Stuffed Acorn Squash with a side of Sautéed Spinach.



What recipe truly means Fall to you?