Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I am on route back to DC, so what better time than to give you a book review.


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne is a very well written book, but it is about two little boys during the Holocaust. So, while I would encourage you to read it, I also want you to be prepared that this maybe a quick read but could also take an emotional toll.

The main character, Bruno, is the son of a Nazi Commandant. The book begins with the 9 year old boy adjusting to a move from Berlin to Auschwitz (or as Bruno pronounces it "Out-With). Bruno is very upset about the move away from his friends and does not quite understand why he has moved to a place where the only other boys to play with live on the other side of the fence and wear Striped Pajamas.

After some time passes, Bruno decides to go explore and meets his friend Shmuel by the edge of a deserted area of the fence. For the better part of a year, Bruno and Shmuel meet at that spot every afternoon and talk. Bruno often brings his friend food and treats as he notices how frail his friend becomes.

I hope that short summary of the first half of the book convinces you to read it. I do not want to tell you anymore as the second half is so powerful and best read through the eyes of the naive boy Bruno.

Have you read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas?

Remember: If you send me a book review I will post it as a guest post. Please send me your URL (if you blog) and a picture of the book.