Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Hiker's Lunch

Today, we are going hiking out at Shenandoah National Park. In preparation, I made Jay and my lunch last night, so that we could get a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning.

We used sandwich thins because we had them leftover from Burgers this week. Got to love when they give you a coupon for next time!

You can not go wrong with Peanut Butter and Jelly when hiking. This simple childhood classic is hearty, filling, delicious and rewarding when you reach the top of the mountain! We do not use two Jelly's on the sandwiches. The "nice" Jelly (or Boysenberry Preserves) is mine and Jay uses the classic, Welch's Concord Grape Jelly.

Look at the PB ooze out! I can't wait to eat it!

Labeled, of course! Got to make sure I get the right one!

I addition to Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, Jay and I always pack GORP (Gold Old Roasted Peanuts). This is a traditional hiker favorite, because like the sandwich it provides all the essential nutrients you need for a hike!

In the Mix: Edamame, Almonds, Peanuts, Cashews, Dried Cranberries and White Chocolate Chips.

I made way too much!!! So I saved some in a Jar for later this week at work!

I also sliced a Ganny Smith Apple and added Lime Juice to preserve it.

And the final result...
Notice, a Twix snuck its way in there...

Fun Fact: Snuck is NOT a word, the proper English in sneaked... A nice little fact from Washington State University.

I can't wait to eat it tomorrow! Do you have a go to hiking lunch?

I will be back tomorrow with a full recap of the day!