Monday, October 11, 2010

A Fall Feast

I don't know if it was the amazing Warrior Dash yesterday, or the Diner Dinner. I don't think I mentioned this yesterday, but Papermoon's Cranberry Turkey Melt was amazing and made me very excited for Thanksgiving. I paired this delectable dish with Sweet Potato Fries and Peanut Butter Pie. For some reason this combo resulted in a great 4.25 mile run in 38 minutes this morning!

Speaking of the Warrior Dash, my time was 34:37. Not bad, not bad, but I am a little disappointed. I often have post race guilt. I am running and running just try to motivate myself to keep going and once I finish I regret that I hadn't pushed myself harder.

The worst part of the Warrior Dash was the waves. A wave went off every 30 minutes, but I wish they were more frequently. The first obstacle was crawling through a tube. They has 5 or 6 set-up so the crowd of people easily flowed through. Not so much luck at the second obstacle. The second obstacle was climbing over trucks. I was the most nervous for this obstacle, but it turned out to be pretty easy. There were only three ropes to tackle this obstacle, so we had to stand in line. I am sure we lost a minute or two just waiting there.

The best part of this race is it is A LOT OF FUN. I wish we had tried to stay together, but it was impossible with the other runners. So even though I ran the majority of the race by myself, I had a great time!

But, am thankfully now mud free!

Now on to make dinner. Tonight I present you with Turkey Sausage, Roasted Acorn Squash and Brussels Sprouts, and Millet with Spinach. Phew, that was a title!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Wash and chop up your Acorn Squash. I usually go with slices as shown below because I think it looks pretty. You can also cube it, all preference.

Also, rinse and chop your Brussels sprouts. I chop these babies right in half.


I through all the veggies on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. I drizzle on some EVOO, sprinkle with a little Brown Sugar and Salt and Pepper.


Let bake for about 45 minutes.

While that is baking, start cooking the millet.

I follow Emily's suggestion for preparing Millet. Toast the 1/2 c of millet in your pot and then add 1.5 cups of water (1 millet:3 water ratio) and simmer for about 10 minutes and add in the fresh spinach. Stir and simmer for another 10 minutes.


For the Turkey Sausage, I heat a little EVOO on the stove and threw on a little bit on onion. Then, chop the sausage into 1/4 inch slices and sauté in a little EVOO and brown sugar. This should take about 10 minutes.








When all is said and done, serve and garnish with a little Maple syrup.


OK, so this dish may have SUGAR high, but it was delicious.

I would say this guy liked it!




Please use SUGAR responsibly! :)

Besides breakfast food, what do you put maple Syrup on?